Description of the Minor
The Minor in Biometry and Statistics is designed to provide students with basic knowledge of statistical techniques and the mathematics necessary to understand and use them. To obtain a Minor students must take the required courses and three elective courses from the list below. Students may petition to have other courses that are not listed as electives. Courses taken at other institutions may be credited towards the minor, but a minimum of three elective courses must be taken at Cornell.
Required Courses [each course is 4 cr.]
- BTRY 3010: Biological Statistics I or BTRY 6010: Statistical Methods I or equivalent
- BTRY 3020: Biological Statistics II or BTRY 6020: Statistical Methods II
- BTRY 3080: Probability Models and Inference
- MATH 1110: Calculus I
- MATH 1120 or MATH 1220 or MATH 1910: Calculus II
- MATH 1920 or MATH 2130 or MATH 2220: Multivariable Calculus
- BTRY 3090 / STSCI 3090: Theory of Interest [4 cr.]
- BTRY 3100 / ILRST 3100 / STSCI 3100: Statistical Sampling [4 cr.]
- BTRY 4030 / STSCI 4030: Linear Models with Matrices [4 cr.]
- BTRY 4090 / STSCI 4090: Theory of Statistics [4 cr.]
- BTRY 4100 / ILRST 4100 / STSCI 4100: Multivariate Analysis [4 cr.]
- BTRY 4110 / ILRST 4110 / STSCI 4110: Categorical Data [4 cr.]
- BTRY 4140 / ILRST 4140 / STSCI 4140: Applied Design [4 cr.]
- BTRY 4270 / STSCI 4270: Introduction to Survival Analysis [3 cr.]
- BTRY 4381: Bioinformatics Programming [3 cr.]
- BTRY 4520 / STSCI 4520: Statistical Computing [4 cr.]
- BTRY 4820: Statistical Genomics [4 cr.]
- BTRY 4830: Quantitative Genomics and Genetics [4 cr.]
- BTRY 4840: Computational Genomics [4 cr.]
- BTRY 4940: Special Topics (as appropriate) [1-3 cr.]
- ILRST 6140: Structural Equations w/ Latent Variables [3 cr.}
- ILRST 6190: Special Topics in Social Statistics [3 cr.]
- MATH 2210 or MATH 2310: Linear Algebra [4 cr.]
- NTRES 6700: Spatial Statistics [3 cr.]
- ORIE 3510 and 4520: Stochastic Processes [4 cr.]
- ORIE 4740 / STSCI 4740: Statistical Data Mining and Machine Learning I [4 cr.]
- STSCI 4550 / ILRST 4550, ORIE 5550: Applied Times Series Analysis [3 cr.]
Applying for the Minor
- Check the minor requirements on the Department of Biological Statistics and Computational Biology (BSCB) website at http://www.bscb.cornell.edu/minor.php.
- Obtain the application for the minor from the main office of the Department of BSCB in 1198 Comstock Hall or download it from the website. Complete the personal information section and as much course information as possible.
- Make an appointment to see the Director of Undergraduate Studies; bring this from with you and keep a copy for your records.
- Plan a course of study to complete the Biometry and Statistics Minor requirements. Select required courses and an elective course that best suit your interests. If you need assistance in planning, contact your supervising BSCB faculty advisor. Address any questions to your supervising BSCB faculty advisor, the Undergraduate Program Assistant, or the Director of Undergraduate Studies.
- Keeping track of progress in meeting requirements is the student's responsibility. If your course choices change, update your form at the BSCB main office. If the change creates any doubt about meeting the requirements of the minor, confirm its acceptability with your supervising BSCB faculty advisor. Students must earn a grade of C- or better in each course used for the minor.
- Director of Undergraduate Studies, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Undergraduate Program Assistant, email@example.com